login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40

Disabling outlook tests

• 2nikon
  • 2nikon's Avatar Topic Author
30 Mar 2012 18:51 #135

Is it possible to completely exclude Outlook tests from login VSI? I've tried and tried again to get outlook to work, all to no avail. Even after figuring out that location has to be set by hand in the management console, I'm still being prompted by outlook for some authentication, etc. SO I was looking for some way to completely disable outlook in the tests.

Right now, I can't even run through the "create profile" phase because outlook keeps throwing errors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

30 Mar 2012 20:18 #136

Hello Alex,

Yes you can disable outlook though i recommend resolving the underlying issue, not disabling outlook.

To disable Outlook:
1. Open the VSI management console
2. Go to Workload Configuration
3. Scroll all the way down to the Custom Settings textbox
4. Type: MSOUTLOOK=Disabled
5. Click the Save workload settings button

This should disable Outlook.

Solving the issue:
I believe your issue is being caused by a preconfigured outlook profile. You can install Outlook with an admin file. This admin file is created by the Office Customization Tool (OCT) . One of the features of this tool is that it can preconfigure the outlook profile.
This is a problem because VSI uses a own custom profile. This profile uses local PST files so you do not need an exchange account.

OCT stores this setting under one of the following registrykeys:
32bit systems
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\<office version>\User Settings\<random guid>\create\software\microsoft\office\<office version>\outlook\setup

64bit systems
HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432node\Microsoft\Office\<office version>\User Settings\<random guid>\create\software\microsoft\office\<office version>\outlook\setup

The screenshot below is an example of a office 2010 installation on a 64 bit machine.

Removing this key (the entire setup key) will likely resolve this issue. If it doesn't, let me know. I am confident we can work this issue out instead of disabling Outlook.

• 2nikon
  • 2nikon's Avatar Topic Author
02 Apr 2012 11:48 #140

Thanks a lot Dennis, you're spot on. I was thinking of quickly disabling Outlook tests to see how far I can get, but you've definitely solved the issue.

Thanks again

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

Login VSI B.V.

De Entree 85
1101 BH Amsterdam