login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

Windows cannot find H:\doc\UserRead.doc

• 2nikon
  • 2nikon's Avatar Topic Author
02 Apr 2012 13:03 #141 by 2nikon
Hi, just bumped into an issue. When running a test, even if only to create profiles, I get through outlook, excel, powerpoint tests fine, but when it gets to Word, I get an error: "Windows cannot find 'H:\doc\UserRead.doc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

The wierd part is that if at this poin, even without dismissing the error, I open windows explorer - I do see the file is there (I've attached the image). The wierd part is even after dismissing the error dialog, the file just doesn't open when I double click it in explorer, the word window opens empty. But I CAN go to file/open and the file opens just fine, only with a security warning. What security warning appears to say is that the 2 macros (TestDirector7.dot and RSPV2W97.DOT) are signed with certificates that are expired (I've also attached the screenshot).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to either overcome the errors, or at least disable word tests for now?

Thanks a lot
Alex

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2012 06:35 #145 by d.geerlings
Alex,

This is likely related to the macro security warning. These macros are not used nor included by VSI. You could try setting macro security to either enable all macros without warning or disable all macros without warning.

I've included a replacement registry file for office 14. This registry file will ENABLE all macros without warning.
1. Go to c:\program files\login consultants\vsi\files on your target machine (or template/master image).
2. Replace Office 14.0.reg with the attached version.

• 2nikon
04 Apr 2012 14:11 #158 by 2nikon
Thanks Dennis. Once I saw your comment that macros are not used by VSI, I've removed all the custom macros we had on our test system and got past this error. Thanks for you help on this.

I do however now see a different issue a little further in the test, where if I'm testing let's say 100 users, the first 30-40 users work fine all the way through, but after some point all new sessions start showing the error about H:\doc\TimerDocument.doc. Any ideas?

Thanks
Alex
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2012 11:56 #171 by o.bouhaj
Hi 2nikon, and with 35 users?

(If this happens near the end of the test this is likely an indication that your server is at or near it's max.)

• 2nikon
12 Apr 2012 12:12 #172 by 2nikon
I'm kind of getting the same impression Omar. Basically I've encountered the same error in 2 different situations. The first one, the one related to this post, was truely related to us having some custom macros deployed with our Office package, and once I cleaned those up the errors cleared out. In this first scenario I was getting this error starting from the first user logging in, so definitely system issue. The other situation where I see this same error (and this is a guess at this point) is when it fells like I'm reaching the max capacity of the system. But if that's truely the case, it's wierd to see those errors while you're running the test, it's just not too intuitive to connect this error and "you're reaching the system limit", as it just looks that something's broken.

Alex

More
12 Apr 2012 12:44 #173 by o.bouhaj
Hi Allex,

I know what you mean. But VSI does/detects only (measure) the max. capacity.
Please downgrade your usermax. to reach the VSImax (for example between the 30-40).
It's not that we want to break the server, but to reach the usermax. on the virtual environments.

Thanks
Omar

• 2nikon
12 Apr 2012 13:19 #174 by 2nikon
Thanks Omar. Am I correct that basically what I'm seeing is "Normal"?

If it is normal, it might be a great idea to include that somewhere in the documentation. I't be even better to actually include this in one of those awesome videos you have for setup and running of the VSI tests (those were very useful).

Basically, seems that every person on our team that saw those errors while observing one of the launchers with 20-30 windows was really puzzled and connectrion to "we're reaching the max" wasn't that obvious. It's tough to link 'file not found" error to a "system performance is degraded".

Thanks for your help, awesome forum

Alex

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460