login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

VM's Hanging

• gonellat
  • gonellat's Avatar Topic Author
04 May 2012 10:46 #290 by gonellat
I have just executed a 45 user test on VSIexpress. 41 of the VM's ran successfully the other 4 have just hung at the desktop. Please can somebody explain why this has happended?
There are no error messages. I can open the analyser for this test run and it includes just 41 of the users.
The launcher.txt in the local/temp/vsi on the laucher machine seems to have started all 45 users/vm's. The logoff procedure was started.
All VM's were rebooted prior to the test.
In the fileshare - ActiveSessionsFinished/counteractive folder the 4 VM's are missing.
In the ActiveSessionsRunning/CountActive folder the 4 VM's are missing. The Active session.txt file says 41 - this is the last VM that hung.
In the LaunchedSessions all 45 are present. There are no debug logs for the 4 VM's in question.
The VSI Max folder does not include these 4 VM's

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2012 15:54 #291 by d.geerlings
Do the 4 VM's that are hung show a message saying: "No activetest found, this can be resolved by increasing the auto logoff timeout."?

• gonellat
08 May 2012 06:05 #299 by gonellat
There is no message. They are just left on the desktop's.

• CBeck
09 May 2012 10:03 #301 by CBeck
I'm seeing a similar thing too, even after rebooting all the desktops being tested, the launchers and increasing the timeout value. Pretty frustrating.

• gonellat
09 May 2012 11:20 #302 by gonellat
So far I've tried
1) Rebooting Launchers and VM's.
2) Increasing the auto logoff timeout
3) Using Multiple Launchers.
4) I've checked that processor and memory aren't being maxed.
5) Running just the VM's that hung on their own, no problems reported.

Just waiting on some other ideas now.

• CBeck
11 May 2012 05:42 #305 by CBeck
Same here. I'm guessing these "hung" sessions are also affecting the timers as I'm getting some very strange results when tests have completed.

More
11 May 2012 05:47 #306 by d.geerlings
For reference, we are working on this with "gonellat" by email/GoToMeeting/phone. I believe his resolution, when we reach it, should work for the rest of you as well.

• CBeck
11 May 2012 06:11 #307 by CBeck
Cool, please keep us posted on the results.

• gonellat
11 May 2012 06:16 #308 by gonellat
We are launching the VM's using the CustomCommandLine plus CSV. Part of this uses the freeware application LauchRDP.exe. Thought I'd try with another freeware tool Remote Desktop Plus, to see if this makes any difference. Unfortunately our Trail Licence has expired so I've requested a new one.

• CBeck
11 May 2012 06:31 #309 by CBeck
I'm launching desktop sessions to XenDesktop using the Python toolkit. Mark helped us get this going, but we're finding as we scale that we're having this issue of some targets not firing.

• CBeck
17 May 2012 10:11 #316 by CBeck
My particular issue was caused by using a Windows 7 PC as the VSI Share. Windows 7 will only provide a maximum of 20 concurrent connections to a share, meaning that my test devices could not write as all the connection had been maxed out. You don't see any errors for this, but something worth checking.

You can do this by typing vsiquit on one of the non responsive desktops and putting the UNC path of your share into Start | Run. If share connections are maxed out, you will get an error.

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460
Woburn, MA 01801

Phone: +1 408 899 7418