login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

RDP Load Test terminates after login

• Frederic_S
  • Frederic_S's Avatar Topic Author
23 May 2012 10:36 #327 by Frederic_S
Hello,

I'm currently evaluating LoginVSI for a customer.

I've setup a lab environment with 3 Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Servers.

1 File Server
1 Controller/Launcher
1 RDP Session Host

VSI Version:3.6
Test system: Microsoft RDS
Operating system version target: Server 2008 R2
Operating system version launcher(s): Server2008 R2
Office version target: Office 2010

All three are running on their grace period and there is no RDP License Server for this demo, hence only 1 user is used for the test.

While setting up LoginVSI I stuck to the admin guide and the videos only changeing the Office version in the configuration.

When executing the test, an RDP session is established but nothing happens in the RDP session, as seen in the screenshot.

Where should I look for errors? Maybe a bad config of the RDS Server?

Cheers,

Fred

Edit:

Did you move the target machine to the correct OU? “Login VSI\Computers”, and is the ”VSI System” policy attached to that OU. - checked/ok
Is running scripts simultaneously disabled? - checked/ok
Is your security agent blocking the execution of the Login VSI executables / Login script? - checked/ok
Do the Login VSI users have access to the Login VSI Share ? You can simply test this by accessing \\Server\VSIShare from within a session. - checked/ok
Did you or Login VSI create the logon scripts that are used in the netlogon folder ? \\DomainName\Netlogon\VSI_Logon.cmd - checked/not ok

The VSI_Logon.cmd script is not created.

I'll try to create the file manually and see what happens.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2012 02:23 #330 by d.geerlings

Frederic_S wrote: (...)
The VSI_Logon.cmd script is not created.
(...)

VSI_Logon.cmd is the script that is set as the logon script for Login_VSI users. If the script does not exist than nothing will start VSI when the user logs on. The VSI_Logon.cmd script is created during the VSI AD setup.

The contents of the script is simply:

CALL "%Programfiles%\Login Consultants\VSI\Files\logon.cmd"

• Frederic_S
29 May 2012 05:40 #332 by Frederic_S
Hi Dennis,

I've created the script manually and added it to domain/netlogon but nothing happens, when the test users logon. I've checked that the users all have the script set as logon script. Funny enough, when executing the script manually on the target server, the drives etc. are created but still nothing happens during the test when using test users created by LoginVSI. When logging in with any other user directly (not through LoginVSI), the test scripts start up.

To rule out any quirks concerning installs or anything I'm currently setting a parallel lab env from scratch.

Cheers,

Fred

• Frederic_S
29 May 2012 12:53 #333 by Frederic_S
Hi Dennis,

I've reinstalled everything. None of the servers are affected by an GPO other than the Default Domain Policy, which has been left untouched, during the installation process. After installation, the target server is moved to the logonVSI OU and restarted.

While installing the VSI components, the logon script is never created. All installation procedures are done by an admin with domain admin rights.

I can start a test and nothing happens.

When creating the logon script manually, it seems to be executed during login (at least I can see a short blip of the cmd when the desktop appears) but I cannot check if anything was created, because no input is accepted from the user, even when logging in directly via mstsc with that user (login_vsi1, as suggested in demo videos). When executing the logon.c,d on the target server manually with a user, I can see 3 system drives were created, but nothing more than that happens. When logging off and logging back in with the same user, the tests start, but fail, because the needed system drives are no longer there.

Adding the logon script to the GPO of the VSI OU makes no difference.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions...

Cheers,

Fred

More
29 May 2012 21:49 #336 by d.geerlings
Fred,

Can you try starting VSI32.exe or VSI64.exe from the B: drive? If you do not get an error but VSI still doesn't start try opening the VSI share and creating a file or folder in the share. The VSI users need read and write access on both the share and NTFS level.

• Frederic_S
30 May 2012 08:46 #339 by Frederic_S
Hello Dennis,

when starting the vsi32.exe or vsi64.exe from the B: drive, I get a fatal error: "no activetest found, this can be resolved by increasing the auto logoff timeout."

Cheers,

Fred

More
30 May 2012 15:23 #340 by d.geerlings
Fred,

I'll contact you by email to discuss a time and date for a GoToMeeting.

• Frederic_S
05 Jun 2012 08:17 #342 by Frederic_S
Hi,

just to sum up the case for all readers, there were two problems:

1. A faulty group reference in the VSIShare folders NTFS authorization. The group added, for what ever reason, wasn't referenced right and onl an SID was shown. Fixed by adding the group again.

2. Printer redirection. Due to printer redirection, the MS XPS printer was always redirected to the target system and installed as default printer. Fixed by turning off printer redirection for all involved systems via GPO.

Thanks to Dennis for superb and very friendly support :-)

Cheers,

Fred

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460