login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

number of loops in a medium workload

• Simbula
  • Simbula's Avatar Topic Author
24 Aug 2012 08:31 #465

Hi All,

i am making some test with a free license and medium workload.
I set auto logoff to 300.
Everything seems to work correctly but it's not clear how many loops I need to wait.
Everytime this time change.
Is their any rule I can change?

Thanks in advance
Luca

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2012 08:40 #466

Hello Simbula,

I will hereby summarize the logon and off settings quoted from our ‘Admin Guide’, which you can use in the future, and add some additional information.

perform-a-benchmark
It is recommended to configure the “Auto Logoff” option to automatically stop the benchmark after all sessions have been started. However, if a server is truly saturated it is very likely that not all sessions will be logged off because they hang.
-It depends on your environment and the amount of sessions. So when the last session is initiated, the Auto Logoff starts counting.

launcher-settings
Auto Logoff; When enabled sessions will automatically logoff when a test has been completed
Auto Logoff timeout (Seconds); When enabled sessions will continue running the configured time before starting the auto logoff process. Auto logoff has to be enabled.

-So for 8hrs, set the seconds to 28.800 seconds (3.600x8). It will Automatically stop the benchmark after all sessions have been started.

Regards,

Omar

• Simbula
24 Aug 2012 10:30 #467

Thanks about that.
But the "issue" still remaining.

I have set double RAM and CPUs and set auto logoff to 900 secs.

At the moment sessions are at loop 5.
But again my question is:
in order to consider the job as "correct" how many loops I have to see? or just one?

Many thanks
Luca

More
24 Aug 2012 10:58 #469

Luca,

You can consider the job as correct if all the initiated sessions are finished and you can analyze the logs (VSI Analyzer Charts).

How many sessions are you testing with? Example: 10 test sessions, auto logoff is 900 sec. when the tenth session is started then the auto logoff will start counting, independent of the test users already testing (they will loop until the last session is started and then the logoff count starts). The number of loops is dependent on the number of sessions, the launch interval and the auto logoff.

Regards,

Omar

• Simbula
24 Aug 2012 11:14 #470

Thanks again.

I am launching 20 sessions in a target machine with 4 CPUs and 12 GBs RAM

I have done the same test few days ago on a machine with 2 CPUs and 4 GBs RAM without more than 1 loop.

I am setting the auto logoff to 1800 and see what happen.

Luca

• Simbula
24 Aug 2012 12:03 #471

when the 20th session is started then the auto logoff started counting.
now after 30' I saw the 1st connection making other 2 loops and is still working as all the other 19 sessions. is it normal? I thought that after the auto logoff time out sessions should be able to logoff after the current loop.
am I wrong?

Many thanks
Luca

More
24 Aug 2012 12:28 #473

Luca,

Can you run a 20 session, interval of 30 sec and auto logoff of 30min. (see what happens).
And can you verify that after the last test session has started the 'logoff.txt' is placed on the VSI share?

I can provide you a screen share session, so that you can show me and I explain you, would you like that?

Regards,

Omar.

• Simbula
24 Aug 2012 12:37 #474

the file "logoff.txt" is not present. whilst for example is present on my past job of few days ago.

How I can solve this issue please?

Many thanks
Luca

More
24 Aug 2012 13:02 #475

Luca,

Okay. So there is no logoff.txt in \ \ server \ vsishare \ _VSI_LogFiles \ test name \ logoff.txt

Logoff.txt let the sessions know that the session may start logging off. The sessions then log off after the current loop is completed.

Logoff.txt is placed by the session monitor. The session monitor is the component that keeps track of how many sessions there are launched, how many sessions are active, etc. This process usually runs on the first launcher (like how those stand in the management console). The launcher agent on the first launcher therefore provides that logoff xxx seconds (auto logoff timeout) after launching of the last session is initiated.

I think your launchers are the source of the problem, specifically the session monitor (not creating logoff.txt, not removing the IsActive.txt file). Can you remove/reinstall the launcher agent and redeploy the launcher PC’s?

Regards,

Omar

More
24 Aug 2012 13:20 #476

Luca,

You are telling VSI to wait an additional 1800 seconds (30 minutes) before indicating sessions can log off. Set the autologoff timeout back to 120 and sessions will start logging off 2 minutes after the last session has been launched.

This is how it works. Assuming 20 session, 30 second interval and 120 second logoff timeout.
00:00 session 1 is launched. It takes a few seconds to log on and become active.
00:12 session 1 is done logging on, has started the main VSI executable and is now considered active.
00:30 session 2 is launched. It takes a few seconds to log on and become active.
00:44 session 2 is done logging on, has started the main VSI executable and is now considered active.
(these steps repeat up to session 20)
10:00 session 20 is launched. The system is under a reasonable amount of load so log on takes a while. Lets say 50 seconds.
10:01 VSI notices all of the 20 sessions have been launched. It would have indicated to the active sessions that they can start logging off, EXCEPT that there is a autologoff timeout. VSI will wait an additional 120 seconds, the configured autologoff timeout, until indicating session can log off.
10:50 session 20 is done logging on, has started the main VSI execetable and is now considered active.
12:01 the autologoff timeout has expired. VSI indicates sessions can start logging off AFTER their current loop is done.
15:12 session 1 is done with its first loop. Session 1 notices VSI has indicated that sessions can start logging off. Session 1 logs off.
15:43 session 2 is done with its first loop. Session 2 notices VSI has indicated that sessions can start logging off. Session 2 logs off.
(etc etc up until all sessions eventually log off)

Lets look at 20 sessions, 30 second interval, 1800 second autologoff timeout.
00:00 session 1 is launched. It takes a few seconds to log on and become active.
00:12 session 1 is done logging on, has started the main VSI executable and is now considered active.
00:30 session 2 is launched. It takes a few seconds to log on and become active.
00:44 session 2 is done logging on, has started the main VSI executable and is now considered active.
(these steps repeat up to session 20)
10:00 session 20 is launched. The system is under a reasonable amount of load so log on takes a while. Lets say 50 seconds.
10:01 VSI notices all of the 20 sessions have been launched. It would have indicated to the active sessions that they can start logging off, EXCEPT that there is a autologoff timeout. VSI will wait an additional 1800 seconds, the configured autologoff timeout, until indicating session can log off.
10:50 session 20 is done logging on, has started the main VSI executable and is now considered active.
(sessions are running and not much happens other than that)
15:12 session 1 is done with its first loop. A loop takes about 15 minutes. Since VSI has not indicated the sessions can start logging off yet session 1 will start another loop.
15:44 session 2 is done with its first loop. Since VSI has not indicated the sessions can start logging off yet session 2 will start another loop.
(this eventually happens for all 20 sessions)
30:12 session 1 is done with its second loop. Since VSI still has not indicated the sessions can start logging off session 1 will start another loop.
30:43 session 2 is done with its second loop. Since VSI still has not indicated the sessions can start logging off session 2 will start another loop.
(this happens for every session that completes a loop up to 40:00)
40:01 the autologoff timeout has expired. VSI indicates sessions can start logging off AFTER their current loop is done.
(some sessions start logging off as their loop finishes)
45:12 session 1 is done with its third loop. Session 1 notices VSI has indicated that sessions can start logging off. Session 1 logs off.
45:43 session 2 is done with its third loop. Session 2 notices VSI has indicated that sessions can start logging off. Session 2 logs off.
(etc etc up until all sessions eventually log off)

Notice how, without the autologoff timeout, session 20 would never become active. That is the idea behind the timeout, allow the last few sessions enough time to log on and become active. Setting the timeout higher and higher just extends the duration of the test.

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460
Woburn, MA 01801

Phone: +1 408 899 7418