login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-02.jpg

XenApp Application Testing

• Alekhya
  • Alekhya's Avatar Topic Author
27 Sep 2012 04:00 #512 by Alekhya
Hi,

I have Word published in the XenApp server. I Need to test only that word application. how can test using LoginVSI.
i tried testing by mentioning the application name in the command line, but it just opens the Application but no script Run on it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2012 07:23 #513 by o.bouhaj
Hello Alekhya,

Please note that VSI connects to a published 'desktop' where you should publish your applications (wherein all applications are available). No need to publish each application individually.

Regards,

Omar

• Alekhya
27 Sep 2012 07:29 #514 by Alekhya
Thank You Omar for your quick reply..

Is there a way to check only Application published without using Desktop by XenApp using LoginVSI?

More
27 Sep 2012 19:32 #515 by o.bouhaj
Hello Alekhya,

See also Published Application(s) thread.

A published single application will not work with a default workload that tries to run single or multiple applications. Meaning, that the Express version can’t, the PRO version can.

Regards,

Omar

• Alekhya
28 Sep 2012 03:08 #516 by Alekhya
I am using PRO version of Login VSI . Can u please Provide the Procedure to test the Punlished Application.

• raman
23 Oct 2012 04:21 #554 by raman
Well I think I found the bug, as I am dealing with the same problem.
I published a desktop and was trying to run the LOGIN VSI benchmark over some XenApp servers and 10 different users. Users have appropriate access to the XenApp servers as they can log on and run VSI script individually.

Here's the issue:
1. LOGIN VSI starts IE to connect to XenApp servers(using CTXConnector).
2. Apparently, it is done by clicking New > Window buttons on the exiting session(IE window). And it uses Selenium to do so.
3. But IE produces a new Window with the same session information as the parent window upon the CTRL + N action. Example: Log into the User Account using IE, and now do CTRL + N
4. This problem can be alleviated by opening a new IE window(from Start Menu) or using Firefox/Chrome.

My first hint was the series of failure messages at the end of Login VSI command line console. All these messages indicate a time out failure because 'User name: ' field cannot be found on the document. This is a typical Selenium time out message.

I am trying to make the script use Firefox or find a work around for IE itself.
Please suggest a solution.

It is very disappointing that XenApp support is simply not tested before shipping. How can IE not be tested when VSI Master is supposedly always deployed on Windows server.

More
23 Oct 2012 08:20 #555 by d.geerlings
Raman,

The problem you are describing is actually a timing issue that i will explain below. I believe this might be caused by either using a very short interval or not specifying the T1 and/or T2 parameters. These default to 25 if not specified.

User 1 logs on to the web interface and starts the whole process of logging in, starting a resource and logging off. This process takes time, let’s say 25 seconds. Let’s assume the interval between sessions per launcher is 10 seconds.

After user 1 is about half way through user 2 starts the process. Since users 1 is still in the process of completing the task it still has a valid session to the web interface. Since Internet Explorer knows this it will use this SAME session for user 2. User 2 will open an instance of Internet Explorer that will use user 1’s session. This results in user 2 not being prompted for a username/password, instead it will be logged on as user 1.

To avoid all of the above you need to make sure that an entire logon process through the web interface fits into a logon interval. In my example above that interval is 10 seconds per launcher. For logging on through the web interface this is simply too quick. There are multiple solutions to solve this problem:

1. Increase the interval between session per launcher (30 seconds or more). This gives each user enough time to complete the web interface process before the next user is launched. In sequential mode this simply means increasing the interval. In parallel mode this is more complex. Use the session calculator to calculate what the time between sessions is per launcher. The session calculator can be found in the management console on the test configuration tab, next to Interval Settings (all the way down).

2. Add more launchers (parallel mode only). If you want to keep the overall timeframe but want to increase the time between sessions simply increase the number of launchers. As the launchers divide the total amount of sessions among each other, adding more launchers will decrease the number of sessions a single launcher will initiate thus increasing the time between individual sessions on that launchers while keeping the overall timeframe the same.

PS, we use WatiN to automate IE. Every session imitated by CTXConnector uses a new instance of Internet Explorer:
IE ie = new IE();

• raman
23 Oct 2012 17:02 #556 by raman
Thanks Dennis,

Your solution works. I am using a single Launcher in Serial mode and used 90 seconds delay between individual session launch.

But here's my question: The new interval value of 90 seconds will reduce number of active VSI sessions by a factor 90/20 (20 being the interval we used earlier). How does it impact the response time calculations(index) that we see as the final result of VSI. It concerns me because we use Login VSI to load test the backend storage.

Will it help to let the VDI sessions run in an endless loop(increasing the number of loops to 9999...)
Basically, I am not clear how the index charts(response time charts) are calculated by Login VSI.

You may move this question to another thread, if this is not the correct place.

More
23 Oct 2012 17:33 #557 by d.geerlings
Ask what you like. I don't care too much if the topic tittle covers the content :)

Changing the interval has a major impact on the results. If you want to know more about the way the calculations are made have a look at this page

In general 30 seconds is enough to complete a web interface logon. 30 seconds is also the interval we recommend for both VDI and terminal server environments.

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460
Woburn, MA 01801

Phone: +1 408 899 7418