login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-04.jpg

Forum Announcement

The Login VSI forum has been disabled and now only serves as an archive. If you would like to submit a new support ticket, please send an email to support@loginvsi.com.

How to stop a test?

• gbreit
  • gbreit's Avatar Topic Author
06 Feb 2013 02:13 #761

How many loops will a medium workload run? Is it endless loop and I shall stop it manually? My session has run for more than 70+ loops.

I tried to exit from VSI management console. But the sessions were still running after that.

I found following words from your document. Are they for test exit?
To stop a launcher while it is running, right-click the Login VSI system tray icon and choose “exit”.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• gbreit
06 Feb 2013 05:07 #763

I found the sessionmonitor.exe was missing in processes list, though it started at the beginning.

More
06 Feb 2013 11:09 #771

Hi GB,

This depends;

- Did you set the 'Auto logoff' option in the MMC and if so, what is the amount of seconds you configured (Auto logoff timeout)?
- Exiting the MMC will not logout the active test sessions, MMC has no influence on the Active session. It will just close the MMC
- I am not sure, but you misunderstood that part; the description is for the Launchers?
"To stop a launcher while it is running, right-click the Login VSI system tray icon and choose “exit”." < which is actually stopping the Launcher Agent; it will stop launching test sessions from a Launcher

To auto logoff the active test session, whether you properly configured it or not, whether it is a 'unlimited/infinite' loop or not. Follow the below steps to logoff active test sessions after finishing the current loop;

- Browse to the VSIShare
- Browse to "\_VSI_Logfiles\"
- Browse to the ActiveTestName folder
- Place "Logoff.txt" in the root of the ActiveTestName folder

Regards,

Omar

PS, the sessionmonitor is a critical component and should be running in the background for each test, maybe you accidentally killed the process.

• gbreit
07 Feb 2013 02:52 #774

Thanks, Omar. This problem's gone after I set the Auto logoff. Could you inform me how many loops it will run for a medium workload? Is it definite or depends on test environment? I want to add the number of loops into my test plan.

More
07 Feb 2013 09:59 #778

Hi GB,

The idea behind VSI is that we simulate real users. We have automated workloads that will generate load like a user would. We gradually increase the load on the environment by slowly increasing the number of users working in the environment. Since workloads only last 13-15 minutes we might need to loop a workload to keep load active until all sessions have been launched. Consider the following scenario:

Let’s assume 100 sessions with an interval of 30 second. In this scenario VSI will launch 100 sessions over 50 minutes.
00:00 session 1 logs on and starts the workload.
00:30 session 2 logs on and starts the workload.
This continues all the way up to 15:00. At this time session 1 will have completed its first workload. Since we are still launching sessions it will start another loop.
15:00 session 30 logs on and starts the workload.
15:00 session 1 is finished. Session 1 notices that there are still sessions launching. It starts another loop of the workload.
15:30 session 31 logs on and starts the workload.
15:30 session 2 is finished. Session 2 notices that there are still sessions launching. It starts another loop of the workload.
This continues on until every session has been launched. Let’s look at the last session.
50:00 session 100 logs on and starts the workload. Session 100 will end at around 65:00.
Since every session has been launched the test is now considered complete. Sessions that complete their loop at this point will start logging off. In the case of session 100 this mean it will only run a single loop.
60:00 session 1 has completed its 4th loop. Since every session has been launched it will start logging off instead of starting another loop.
In my example session 1 did 4 loops while session 100 only did 1 loop. The total running time of session 100 was only 13-15 minutes, depending on how long the first loop took.

Please note that this example is a simplified version of what actually happens. In reality we need to account for logon times, the VSI autologoff timeout, variations in the loop time due to applications taking longer/shorter to start, etc. The same concepts still apply though.

Please note that a session will NOT log off before every session has been launched. If this does happen than this is very likely caused by something outside of VSI.

Regards,

Omar

• gbreit
08 Feb 2013 01:51 #788

Omar,
I totally understand. Thanks a lot.

• merrist
30 May 2013 03:31 #1057

Omar wrote:

Hi GB,

The idea behind VSI is that we simulate real users. We have automated workloads that will generate load like a user would. We gradually increase the load on the environment by slowly increasing the number of users working in the environment. Since workloads only last 13-15 minutes we might need to loop a workload to keep load active until all sessions have been launched. Consider the following scenario:

Let’s assume 100 sessions with an interval of 30 second. In this scenario VSI will launch 100 sessions over 50 minutes.
00:00 session 1 logs on and starts the workload.
00:30 session 2 logs on and starts the workload.
This continues all the way up to 15:00. At this time session 1 will have completed its first workload. Since we are still launching sessions it will start another loop.
15:00 session 30 logs on and starts the workload.
15:00 session 1 is finished. Session 1 notices that there are still sessions launching. It starts another loop of the workload.
15:30 session 31 logs on and starts the workload.
15:30 session 2 is finished. Session 2 notices that there are still sessions launching. It starts another loop of the workload.
This continues on until every session has been launched. Let’s look at the last session.
50:00 session 100 logs on and starts the workload. Session 100 will end at around 65:00.
Since every session has been launched the test is now considered complete. Sessions that complete their loop at this point will start logging off. In the case of session 100 this mean it will only run a single loop.
60:00 session 1 has completed its 4th loop. Since every session has been launched it will start logging off instead of starting another loop.
In my example session 1 did 4 loops while session 100 only did 1 loop. The total running time of session 100 was only 13-15 minutes, depending on how long the first loop took.

Please note that this example is a simplified version of what actually happens. In reality we need to account for logon times, the VSI autologoff timeout, variations in the loop time due to applications taking longer/shorter to start, etc. The same concepts still apply though.

Please note that a session will NOT log off before every session has been launched. If this does happen than this is very likely caused by something outside of VSI.

Regards,

Omar

Hi Omar,

I want to ask a question about the autologoff timeout. I know your idear for the launching sessions.
So, let't assume the autologoff timeout is 3900 second. The test will finish how many loop?

Kind Regards,
Jack

More
17 Jun 2013 12:49 #1157

Hi GB, that depends on the amount of total test sessions.

- 1 loop takes up to ~14min.
- 3900 second = 65min.

How many sessions are we talking about?

Regards,

Omar

• merrist
18 Jun 2013 01:17 #1161

Omar wrote:

Hi GB, that depends on the amount of total test sessions.

- 1 loop takes up to ~14min.
- 3900 second = 65min.

How many sessions are we talking about?

Regards,

Omar

Hi Omar,
We talk about 100 sessions.

Regards,
Jack

• merrist
18 Jun 2013 01:31 #1162

Hi Omar,
Thanks for your reply. I know it finally.
www.loginvsi.com/forum/support/636-confi...-to-run-2-loops#1156

Regards,
Jack

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

Login VSI B.V.