login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-02.jpg

FYI - (Fixed) - Problem with Office 2007 or 2010 patch + remote H drive

• vjason
  • vjason's Avatar Topic Author
06 May 2013 12:52 #956 by vjason
FYI - I test with remote H drives (user home dirs) at work because we publish docs on EUC solutions that include CIFS services. If you test with all local desktop storage (which creates a fake H drive), you aren't affected.

Issue affects both Excel 2007 and 2010 when writing to remote file shares: support.microsoft.com/kb/2553073

Fixes first, then details below if you are interested. Issue found when running 3.7, but if 4.0 doesn't expect the "The file 'ExcelSheet.xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it" message, it will likely have the same issue (see attached pic for the two errors you'll see, 2 errors are shown since in one of the images the error is stacked on top of the other). I was having issues with 4.0 that are likely related, but it actually knows if the sessions die so I think this is the source of the problem I was having there too.

Fix 1: Don't install the update

Fix 2: Add the following text to the Login VSI registry files (in Login Consultants\VSI\Files) on your master image to disable time stamp checking, and fix the issue:

Office12.0.reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options]
"QFE_Saskatchewan"=dword:00000001
Office14.0.reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options]
"QFE_Saskatchewan"=dword:00000001

Fix 3: Create the registry keys from step 2 using a user based group policy. I only recommend this if you don't have time to redeploy your desktops with the updated master image.

Details:

I’ve been seeing an issue for the last month or so with Login VSI sessions randomly dying after the first test loop (during any of the next second test loops or later). The problem is that the Login VSI analyzer doesn’t notice this as one loop will always complete, which is all it needs to score the test.

The problem is most easily identified by a steady decline in IO as the sessions are dying almost at the same speed that they were started in the login window. The debug logs (located in the Login VSI results folder for the test you are looking at) are another way to confirm what is going on. Since test loops in 3.7 are 14 minutes long, you should see a debug log for each desktop, for each loop. I run my tests for an hour, so I would expect to see at least 4 debug logs for each desktop. If you run your tests for an hour and see less than that, your sessions are dying.

A quick look in the debug log on a desktop (found in the temp folder for the test user) will confirm when the test died (look at the last entry). In this case it is when Excel tried to start.

2013-05-05 08:15:09;VDI1;V1;Excel;read;START

What happened is that during the last test loop Excel was not able to close successfully due to an unexpected message being displayed (see link above), which causes problems during the current test loop. The test dies, but since at least one test loop will always finish the Login VSI analyzer assumes all is well as it doesn't count the number of test loops to see if the "expected" number completed.

The patch is old, so I'm not sure why I started seeing this now as I last used remote file shares last fall.

- Jason
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2013 11:36 #992 by o.bouhaj
Thanks for the feedback Jason. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Omar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460