login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-01.jpg

Forum Announcement

The Login VSI forum has been disabled and now only serves as an archive. If you would like to submit a new support ticket, please send an email to support@loginvsi.com.

Ability to turn off random Section feature in the Workload for custom tests

• abooth
  • abooth's Avatar Topic Author
22 Jul 2014 11:54 #2081

Currently I believe that if you have multiple sections in the Workload when you run a test with multiple users that for randomization that the Workloads will start randomly on different sections. While this is good for standard VM testing it is not good when testing custom applications that run on a VM. I currently have a Workload that after launching a VM then starts a custom application using an AutoIT script, once launched a series of actions are performed to mimic different user profiles using additional AutoIT scripts. I have broken these actions down to ensure that each runs for a short time so that I can utilize VSI_Timer41() to gather performance metrics. Automatic random execution of Sections within the Workload causes many of my users to fail since they do not start with Section1 starting the custom application. Therefore I am unable to setup a workload with more than one Section and use the VSI_Timer41() at this time.

LoginVSI users please provide comments if this is a feature that would help in your testing.

Thanks,

Alan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2014 20:07 #2082

Alan,

Start with segment 1 and delete the other segments starts and/or startups.
Meaning all users start #1 and run till the end.

Example: DELETE

##############################################################
##### Start segment 2 - Text productivity #####
##############################################################
Segment("Workload", 2)

and so on.

Let us know. Thanks,

PS, thanks for the feedback. We will add this RFC to our roadmap.

• abooth
23 Jul 2014 15:08 #2084

Not sure exactly what you mean Omar. I currently test with only one segment calling one AutoIT script that executes until end. Like this workload:

Segment(TestApp, Prepare)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(TestApp, 1)

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSBrowse, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_loop_multitab_wVid.exe)

VSI_Logoff(0)

I was attempting to use the new VSI_TImer41() call to add report generation so I broke my single AutoIT script down and executed the work profile in chunks so that each segment ran for the period of time recommended for VSI_Timer. The workload shown below starts with the first segment which opens the application under test and performs steps to get it to where the main work is done. The segments that follow each preform work and the last section closes the application down to prepare for logout. With the default random selection of segments during the test if Segment #1 is not run first the application under test is not there for Segments 2 - 6 so those segments fail to run.

Segment(Workload, Prepare)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 1)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSStart, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Start.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 2)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSBrowse, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Browse.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 3)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSBrowse2, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Browse2.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 4)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSBrowse3, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Browse3.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 5)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSBrowse4, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Browse4.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Sleep(2)

Segment(Workload, 6)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_ShellExecuteWait(FSClose, %VSI_Share%\FreeState_Browse_n_Clp2Jrnlquarter_SA_half_Win7_Close.exe)

#############
VSI_Timer41()
#############

VSI_Buffer(Workload, 30)

VSI_Logoff(0)

More
23 Jul 2014 15:36 #2085

Alan,

You don't need multiple segment to use the timer. You need the prepare segment and 1 more segment.

I suggest you still split the custom script into several chunks but there is no need to use multiple segments.

More
23 Jul 2014 15:36 #2086

That is exactly what I meant.

• abooth
23 Jul 2014 17:28 #2087

Omar,
I realized that I failed to mention in my request that normally I just use one Segment. I thought I had and that is why I was not sure if that is what you wanted me to do.

Dennis,
I will give that a try. Just to be sure I can just remove the additional Segment calls in what I already have and run a single segment with the multiple VSI_ShellExecutWait and VSI_Timer41 commands? Do I need to remove the VSI_Buffer calls?

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Alan

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

Login VSI B.V.

De Entree 85
1101 BH Amsterdam