login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

Best practice for PerfMon & extop usage to cross reference results ?

• simonplant
  • simonplant's Avatar Topic Author
28 Oct 2014 12:20 #2220 by simonplant
Hey,
I’m after a recommended way to generate perform csv logs and esxtop files for the right VM the test is running on (we’re just running single tests right now). I want to cross reference the perfmon counters, the esxtop output with the VSI analysis to get a complete picture of performance.

Right now I run perfmon manually inside the VDI sessions to get the baseline, but obviously thats not great since I can’t do that when a test is running.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
Si

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2014 12:45 #2223 by o.bouhaj
ESXtop: best practice is a delay of 30sec. when capturing external data.

I would suggest to use WinSCP to get/capture ESXtop Data.
- WinSCP to connect to a specific SUT host and download the captured .csv file from a SUT host.
- WinSCP to setup a direct connection via PuTTy (via the MMC of WinSCP) and to run the appropriate command line.

When PuTTy has the connection (directly with the ESX host) you run: The command line is pretty straight forward:
- In the PuTTy cmd line: esxtop -b -d 30 -n 180 > Your-Test-name.csv
- See example, ESXtop_Single_Instance_(Host).PNG

Where “-b” stands for batch mode, “-d 30″ is a delay of 30 seconds (30sec is best practice) and “-n 180″ are 180 iterations. In this specific case esxtop will log all metrics for 5400 seconds (or a total of 90 minutes). If you want to record all metrics make sure to add “-a” to your string. The resulting .CSV file can be opened directly with PerfMon or our External Data Import function in the VSI Analyzer.

Example: esxtop -b -a -d 2 -i 150 > outputfile.csv

This will collect data using esxtop ‘b’atch mode, ‘a’ll counters, every ’2′ seconds for 150 ‘i’terations (or a total of 5 minutes). The resulting .CSV file can be opened directly with PerfMon or our External Data Import function in the VSI Analyzer.

Of course make sure that the ESX host has SSH enabled via the vSphere client, under configuration > Security Profile

Guide to collecting ESX Top data from multiple hosts?

Have a look at resxtop. The same idea as esxtop but allows you to do it remotely! Other than that, no suggestions.

PS, you might need to use this workaround though: www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/11/heads-up...nd-required-for.html

URLs: www.electricmonk.org.uk/category/vmware/esxtop-resxtop/

PerfMon: best practice is a delay of 30sec. when capturing external data.

TIP: this is a handy tip to convert a PerfMon binary file to CSV. This is useful if you don't have access to the server you originally got the log from or something along those lines... In a command windows navigate to the directory the binary file is located then type this command: relog logfile.blg -f CSV -o newfile.csv

Open Perfmon and according to which metric you want to collect it is highly recommended to pick the metrics that you desire and not more. More can create an overhead resulting in a performance impact. The examples in the screenshots:

- ProcessorInformation.PNG
Will collect the CPU metric info.

- PhysicalDisk.PNG
Will collect the PD metric info.

- LogicalDisk.PNG
Will collect the LD metric info.

- TotalPicture_PD_PI.PNG
Total config of collection via PerfMon

- PerfMon_SaveData_Config.PNG
Save the collected data to .BLG file

- PerfMon_RandomData.PNG
Random Data Chart

- PerfMon_CPUData.PNG
CPU Data Chart

- PerfMon_Convert-BLG-CSV.PNG
Convert BLG > CSV

Let us know if this is enough information to work with.
Thanks and hear from you soon.

More
30 Oct 2014 12:46 #2224 by o.bouhaj
- PerfMon_Convert-BLG-CSV.PNG
Convert BLG > CSV
Attachments:

• simonplant
30 Oct 2014 13:47 #2225 by simonplant
Hey Omar,
Thanks for the response. I’m aware how to get the data using the tools. My question is really around how I get the tools to point to the right VM currently being used by VSI to run the tests ?

For example, I can’t using the console of the VM once the test is under way to start perform, so whats the best practice for setting up perfmon running for the duration of the test ? How do I know what the right duration is ? Can VSI trigger a perform session on the same VM ? (that would be excellent!!) etc

The ESXtop question is really about how I target esxtop to just get the info from the specific VM rather than the entire host.

Thanks
Si

More
30 Oct 2014 14:18 #2226 by o.bouhaj
Hi Si,

The specific VM lays on the physical host. Thus the total capacity of the entire SUT.
However, yes what you are looking for is possible.
Take a look at: www.loginvsi.com/blog/279-troubleshootin...-xperf-and-login-vsi
and: ittechlog.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/integ...nalyzer-in-loginvsi/
and: pascalswereld.nl/2014/08/09/login-vsi-4-...ormance-data-import/
and: sveroadev.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/perfm...ector-set-at-reboot/
and: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722312.aspx

But ESXtop can also collect VM specific data. Best is to analyze them with: labs.vmware.com/flings/esxplot
For example: CPU and it will also have a VM-name

• simonplant
31 Oct 2014 10:08 #2229 by simonplant
Thanks Omar ! Perfect :)

Si

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle