login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40

Configuring run time

• mattd
  • mattd's Avatar Topic Author
07 Aug 2015 03:34 #2590

Hi all,

We have just purchased loginvsi. However, I am having some cunfsion understanding how long the work loads run for.

I had set for them to log out after 30 seconds on the last session, once loginvsi reaches that the console says the test is completed and says to reload to see results? but the actual workers are still churning away?

Also is there any guide lines of how many users should logon at the one time, i.e what do people set the logon window to? as this login window is dynamic, it means that workers that logon at the end, will be take the longest for the test to conclude fully.

Also how long does the work loads run for? is there a time frame for 1 loop for each?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

07 Aug 2015 04:22 #2591

Hello mattd,

Did you have a look at www.loginvsi.com/documentation/Frequentl...goff_mechanism_works ?

In short, users are logged in over the time you configure. That time is called the launch window. By default that is 2880 seconds, 48 minutes.

After the last user has been launched a timer starts ticking. We call this the auto logoff timer. By default this timer is set to 120 seconds. You set it to 30 seconds. This timer has 2 functions. 1, to allow the last few session a few seconds to actually log on and become active. If we'd stop the test immediately after the last user was launched it would never become active. 2, to extend the steady state of the test. If you'd set the timer to 3600, 60 minutes, your users would work for at least 1 hour in the environment.

So by default users are allowed to log off 120 seconds after the last user has been launched, in your case 30 seconds. The confusion happens because the users don't log off immediately. They will finish the work they are currently doing. How long that takes depends on test configuration and the workload used. By default this takes about 12 minutes (applies to all of the built in workloads).

So by default a full test would take 48 minute launch window plus a 2 minute auto logoff timeout and up to 12 minutes to complete the work that the user is currently working on. For a total duration for up to 62 minutes.

Now on to your next question, how long should the launch window be? In essence this is up to you. How quick do you want users to log on? Just keep in mind that the faster you log users on (shorter launch window), the heavier the load on the environment. By default we set the timer to 2880 and we recommend keeping it to 2880 seconds. As that is the time frame that the workload has been designed around. We even suggest sticking to the 2880 seconds if the amount of users change. The idea being that if you can run (just an example) 65 users on 1 server. Then running 650 users over 10 severs should still be able to handle that over 2880 seconds. That way the workload automatically scales up when the power of your servers scales up. That is a recommendation though.

When you compare different test keep in mind that you should keep the launch window similar, preferably the same. To be able to compare apples to apples.

• mattd
07 Aug 2015 04:38 #2592

Thank you for this, I have finished reading that link and it has helped a great deal.

I guess the next question is, what if we want to stress test, how do we stop it from logging off? say I want it to run for 12 hours?

Also is there any guides or results from login vsi has conducted to say how many users per a rds host with cpu and ram should realistically see good test results?

I have read many places that it is better to have more rds servers than everyone on 1 rds server... but there is no figures. I also know this can vary greatly depending on the user and workload but I was hoping with the current login vsi work loads there would be a guide with x amount of cpu etc...

07 Aug 2015 05:24 #2593

Once you start a test you open what we call the star test wizard. The very first screen (after the welcome screen that you may have disabled) is the screen that configures the auto logoff timeout that I mentioned. If you want to run a test for 12 hours you have 2 options here:

- Configure a 43200 second auto logoff timeout, which is 12 hours in seconds.
- Clear the check box. This will keep the test running indefinitely. Well for as long as you want to. You can stop the test by clicking the abort test button in the management console.

Regarding the RDS configuration. Have a look at our whitepapers. Written by vendors using Login VSI. www.loginvsi.com/resources/white-papers . Keep in mind that these are lab environments. We typically recommend testing your own scenarios as a different operating system, different installed software, different hardware can have a major impact on the performance

• mattd
11 Aug 2015 00:48 #2595

So, I ran a test with 30 users, 3 connection servers and 1 RDS server with the recommended settings and the timer set to 2880.

The login time increased dramatically after about 8 connections. As a result, it was at the end of the test and said it finished, but there was still sessions that where logging on. The analyser then said that about half (some that hadn't started) got stuck...

So how do I set it so that it completes it test? Do I increased the log out time?

11 Aug 2015 06:53 #2596

This basically comes down to the test is finished by the time the user is logged on.
Increasing the so called auto logoff timeout, found at the beginning of the start test wizard, should solve this problem. The setting is called 'Logoff sessions x seconds after the last session has become active'.

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

Login VSI B.V.

De Entree 85
1101 BH Amsterdam
The Netherlands