login vsi company logo login vsi company logo 250x40
header-05.jpg

PowerPoint has stopped Responding

• Peter Dibbens
  • Peter Dibbens's Avatar Topic Author
09 Feb 2014 22:48 #1622 by Peter Dibbens
HI,
Login VSI Version: 4.0 (Patched to 4.0.9)
Test system: XenDesktop 7.1
Operating system version target: Windows 7
Operating system version launcher(s): Server 2008R2
Office version target: Office 2010
I continue to have a problem where PowerPoint has stopped responding after the test has run for some time. I am allowing the test to run at around 80% of max load (VSI max not reached) however I continue to see PowerPoint break. The longer the test runs the more broken sessions I see displaying the PowerPoint message (stopped responding) The OS and office is patched to the latest and I cannot recreate the problem if I launch PowerPoint manually. If I click the button restart PowerPoint the test continues normally until PowerPoint breaks again (PowerPoint breaks randomly). Also to note This did not occur using Login VSI 3.7 I never noted PowerPoint break even under heavy load. I am wondering if there is any known issues with the Doro PDF printer driver that may cause this issue?
I see the same problem with just a few session under test (no load), the longer the test runs eventually PowerPoint will stop responding.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Dibbens
10 Feb 2014 07:31 #1623 by Peter Dibbens
Just a quick update: I notice this always occurs at 76% through the medium workload. It seems there is a dialog popping up from PowerPoint "Press escape to cancel saving"

At 76% through the workload PowerPoint is very much active and this message can be seen as the host becomes under a little more loads this (I think) is what's breaking PowerPoint, I think the workload is trying to continue while PowerPoint is busy saving. I am wondering if the fonts in the PowerPoint's are causing an issue and slowing down the save process??
This is a vanilla Windows 7 SPK1 install with Office 2010 nothing else installed. I am wondering if I can turn this PowerPoint popup off??

Thanks Pete

More
10 Feb 2014 11:28 #1624 by t.willemsen
Hello Peter,

If you can, please disable the PDF printer in the workload > settings page of the management console. Please re-run the test and see if the problem appears again.

Let me know the results.

Regards

Tom Willemsen

• Peter Dibbens
11 Feb 2014 22:08 #1628 by Peter Dibbens
HI Tom,

I have run a number of tests with the PDF printing disabled and can confirm that the issue described with powerpoint is resolved. So I guess the doro printer driver may be causing an issue with powerpoint once the server comes under average load and higher I would really like to resolve this and leave the pdf printing enabled, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again Pete

More
12 Feb 2014 10:19 #1629 by t.willemsen
Hello Peter,

I might know where the problem lies, but since we cant reproduce the same problem here i would like to test it in your environment.

First i need to know which workload you are using, so i can edit it.

Once i have made my changes to it i will send it too you. This should fix the problem or at least pinpoint the exact issue more easily.

Regards

Tom Willemsen

• Peter Dibbens
12 Feb 2014 10:28 #1630 by Peter Dibbens
Thanks again Tom,

I am running the medium workload also I have just patched to the latest 4.0.10.399.

I thought it was strange since no one else seems to be having the issue and yet this is a fairly vanilla image I am testing which I have built several times at different patch levels to try and resolve. Today I ran a test for 4 hours and heavily loaded the system with the PDF printing disabled and I never had a single stuck session.

Anyway I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks Pete

More
12 Feb 2014 10:47 - 12 Feb 2014 10:48 #1631 by t.willemsen
Hello Peter,

I have added a new workload in this post. Place this workload in the %VSIShare%\_VSI_Workloads\Custom Workloads and run this workload in a new test with the Doro printer enabled in the Management Console.

I hope this fixes the problem. Let me know the results!

Regards

Tom Willemsen

• Peter Dibbens
12 Feb 2014 21:55 #1636 by Peter Dibbens
Hi Tom,

I re-ran the test with the custom workload that you provided and turned on PDF printing. (this is my standard test run)
Out of the 85 sessions 44 ended up with "PowerPoint stopped responding" the only difference this time is they are now stuck at 77% of the workload.

Please let me know if I can provide more information etc

Thanks again Peter

More
13 Feb 2014 07:41 #1638 by t.willemsen
Hello Peter,

Could you please send us the folder of your latest test, found in your %VSI_Share%\_VSI_Logfiles folder. Please zip this file and send it to Support@loginVSI.com.

Could you also restart the test you previously ran and enable debugging mode (engine and workload) in the 'Workload > settings' tab? If you ran this test could you zip and send these files to us aswell, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Tom Willemsen - support VSI

• poudman
04 Mar 2014 01:30 #1661 by poudman
Hi guys,

I have got the same issue. I don't know at which point the "stopped responding" occurs but it does a few times in multiple sessions during a 1 hour medium test.
Will try it without the Doro pdf printer options too.

With kind regards,
Peter.

• Yinglong
05 Mar 2014 10:28 #1666 by Yinglong
Hi,
Is there any update on this topic? I'm seeing the same issue, and similar to reported, it shows up when density increases (but not reached resource bottle neck yet in terms of CPU, memory, network or storage latency.). There are less around 5% of the sessions hang at ppt warning. Turning off pdf printer is not really option as it effectively changes the workload.
Any help would appreciated.

Regards
Yinglong

More
06 Mar 2014 07:59 #1669 by t.willemsen
Hello,

We are aware of the problem and have taken extra steps to solve this problem. It is a tricky problem and we ask you send us as much information about this problem.

Please send us your logfiles found in your "\\%VSIShare\_VSI_Logfiles\%testname%". If you are able please rerun the test with debug on (if you have a pro license) and send us those results.
What OS are you using?
Which version of Office are you using?
Please send us a screenshot of your error message.

If you are not comfortable of placing this information on our forum please e-mail us at support@loginvsi.com

Regards

Tom Willemsen - Support VSI

• emckwong
19 Mar 2014 13:45 #1686 by emckwong
Hi,

I'm seeing the same issue also.

Win7 SP1 (32-bit)
Office 2010
Screenshot attached

Thanks!
Attachments:

More
20 Mar 2014 08:19 - 20 Mar 2014 14:41 #1689 by t.willemsen
Hello Everyone,

We have created a workload that should fix the Office 2010 PowerPoint crashes. This Workload is built upon the Official Medium Workload. We have added the Custom workload to this Forum post. Since it is not an Official Workload you must place this workload in the "VSIShare\_VSI_Workloads\Custom Workloads" directory. This fix is only usable by Pro license holders.

If you are a Trial / Express user and experiencing the same problem you will not be able to use this workload since a Trial / Express version of Login VSI cannot change its workload. We have a fix for this problem, for Trial / Express users, but we cannot just post this so please e-mail us at Support@loginvsi.com with your question and please mention you were redirected to us from this post.

This workload cannot be compared with the default Medium Workload, we suggest and you do not use this Workload for publishing purposes. This fix only allows you to complete a test.

Regards

Tom Willemsen - Login VSI

• Yinglong
21 Mar 2014 08:56 #1692 by Yinglong
Hi, VSI Support:
Do we know what is the root cause of this issue? I am seeing the same error from heavy workload now, see attached. There are very few sessioned in the test, so resources should not be issue.
Also, we are currently using 4.0.10 version, as far as I remember we never seem to have seen this error before 4.0.6 or 4.0.8, i'm not too sure before exact which version, but definitely not the earlier version of 4.0.x. Has there been any chances in workload or library files could cause this error?

Thank you
Regards
Yinglong
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2014 09:06 #1693 by t.willemsen
Hello Yinglong,

We are currently investigating this problem and we have found some probable suspects but we need to run more tests to be sure. I hope we have a definitive answer next week!

Regards

• gadvdi
08 May 2014 04:06 #1758 by gadvdi
Any updates? I'm also seeing this problem on the heavy workload, and I'm still using 4.0.8

More
08 May 2014 06:36 #1759 by t.willemsen
Hello,

My apologies for the late response but yes we have found the problem and have fixed this. Please update your VSI version to the new 4.1RC2 this has the latest Powerpoint fix. All newer versions of VSI that will be released will have this fix.

Regards

• CH
26 May 2014 08:18 #1787 by CH
Hello Tom,
I'm using LoginVSI Pro "4.0.11.500" for our test.
Is it possible to update LoginVSI from version 4.0.11 to the fixed version 4.1RC2?

Regards,
CH

More
26 May 2014 09:13 #1788 by t.willemsen
Hello CH,

Yes this is possible, you can also upgrade safely to 4.1.0 RC3. If your license does not support upgrade to 4.1 version you can also use the 4.0.12 version. This also has the fix for powerpoint.

Regards

• CH
12 Jun 2014 07:18 #2046 by CH
Hello Tom,
Thank you very much for the information!

Regards,
Chiho Hirano

Start Delivering the Best End User Experience Today

Request a Demo

Login VSI, Inc.

3945 Freedom Circle
Suite 670
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: +1 408 899 7418

300 Tradecenter
Suite 3460